Where achieving a healthy weight depends on limiting food (energy) intake and increasing energy expenditure, healthy financial profiles spring from a similar balance of limiting expenses and maximizing income over time. Personal loans support both sides of this balance, optimizing wealth if not in the next year, at least in the next five or 10.
Personal loans often serve to:
- consolidate debt owed to high interest rate credit cards to lower rate loans. Lower monthly debt payments add up significantly over months and years.
- provide the capital to finance the classes, degrees and business ventures that supplement income. Additional monthly income eventually increases exponentially.
Even if your credit score is under 640 (currently considered the lower end of “good credit”), you can get a personal loan. Here are some tips for becoming proactive and getting the personal loan that balance your cash flow in your direction, bad credit or not.
- Apply for a secured personal loan. If your name is on the title to a car or home, a bank may not even check your credit score. The asset, rather than your spending habits, gives the banker the reassurance that the loan will be repaid. Do consider whether you’re willing to lose this asset, however, should you be unable to pay back the loan. Get an idea of how much the car is worth through and how much your home is worth through. Lenders will typically lend only a portion of that amount.
- Consider requesting the least amount needed. Loan requirements get easier and easier the less you ask for.
- Research online and offline personal loan vendors up front BEFORE applying for one loan. Because each credit inquiry impacts your credit, the more banks that check your credit, the lower your score goes. If your credit is under 640 and the bank only loans to those with “good credit,” you won’t win the loan and your credit score will drop, a lose-lose situation. Consider instead applying to financial institutions that specialize in bad credit loans. These firms have the products and resources to tailor a loan to your specific financial situation. More, you’re more likely to win the loan with just one inquiry.
- Consider Credit Unions and Online Financial Institutions. Smaller and online lenders spend far less on marketing, labor and overhead. The online lender needs no bricks and mortar branches and a fraction of the labor as many decisions and actions are automated. Our blog post 4 Ways Online Banks Keep Cash Advances & PayDay Loans covers just how online lenders have the same level of security if not more than offline lenders.
Is the Personal Loan a Solution for You?
Consumers often find that once they begin their new financial habits (reducing expenses and increasing income), the process becomes addictive. Just taking charge of your finances will help you feel more confident and happy. Even if you’ve spent yourself into the “bad credit” category, having a plan and acting on it provides the reassurance that you won’t be there forever!